A Change of Perspective

Hi everyone,

I have had a lot of new subscribers lately so thank you for joining my art-making musings.

I have been somewhat taken by making lots of tiny vessels lately. It feels like a small compulsion so I’m just going with it. They may take over the place!

It all started when I happened to see someone’s tiny pot they had made on social media. It was different to these but I just loved the size. I also had two vessels I made when over in Ireland that weren’t string quite right with me so I took the plunge and two became 7!

What surprised me was how the stitching suddenly took on a new perspective. The tiny marks and colours became micro-designs in their own right around the pots. I really enjoyed the change of format.

Set one is the Ireland set, each one was stitched at the time I was doing my art residency and holds particular memories. You can read about the original piece here.

Set two was done on an old piece of dismantled work with hand-dyed and rusted fragments. I’ve just enjoyed the grunginess of this one!

Set three will be made using some leftover scraps from a course I’ve just completed over the summer. It will be the the yellows, greens and blues of my local fields here in West Yorkshire.

I’m off to the Isle of Man in the Autumn so I plan to do something similar there. I’m interested to see if this need to make them persists or not. I have an idea they could look good together if there are a lot but time will tell. Sometimes you just have to run with a thing and trust the process.

I’m having a massive tidy and throw-out in the studio. I’m wanting a fresh perspective in there, too. It feels good, clearing the decks and re-setting a bit…

Until next time.

9 thoughts on “A Change of Perspective

  1. Wow! I love these “cups” or “pots” – would love to know how you made them – I am a mixed media artist and have started exploring with fabrics and slow stitching –

    1. Hi, thank you. They are really simply made; the strip was cut up into rectangles of different sizes. I turned over tops and added some hand-stitch two secure them. The bottoms were snipped in intervals and gathered up with a cotton thread and stitched together until each pot would stand up with a bit of wrestling. They are really rough and ready with wobbly bottoms, embracing a wabi-sabi aesthetic. I did try lining one and thinking about finishing the bottoms so they would be flatter but they just looked better without either.

  2. J’adore…. J’aime tellement que les mots me manquent pour le dire…. J’ai tout ce qu’il faut pour travailler : j’ai du tissu avec des traces de peinture, de teinture, d’encres… des tissus teints naturellement…. Il ne me manque plus que le savoir-faire !!

    1. Thank you! They are really simply made; the strip was cut up into rectangles of different sizes. I turned over tops and added some hand-stitch two secure them. The bottoms were snipped in intervals and gathered up with a cotton thread and stitched together until each pot would stand up with a bit of wrestling. They are really rough and ready with wobbly bottoms, embracing a wabi-sabi aesthetic. I did try lining one and thinking about finishing the bottoms so they would be flatter but they just looked better without either. Good luck making some of your own!

  3. So cute! I did something similar for my C&G. No idea where they are now but I have been thinking of making some as plant pot covers as I can’t find ones I like at the garden centre! 😄

Leave a Reply to Mimiblue Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s